And the countdown begins! We’re only 13 days away from Halloween! And we all have our favorite Halloween movies on repeat, but how many of those movies can actually pass the Bechdel Test?!🤔
This Halloween season, I’ve been proactive about watching movies and shows that pass the Bechdel Test. And honestly, some of these barely pass. I used the most basic measurements which are 1. Incorporating at least two female characters, 2. Two female characters must talk to one another, 3. They must talk about something other than a male. Some uses of the Bechdel Test require the female characters to have names, but I chose not to include that as a requirement for this list.
So in no particular order, let the binging begin!
1. Maleficent: For all the misunderstood, fairy witch queens out there, Maleficent is an obvious movie choice for Halloween. And even more exciting, the sequel is out now!🖤🧚🏼♀️💜👑
2. Us: One of the best horror movies from this year!✂️
3. Get Out: Everyone knows you won’t get out of your seat while watching this first Jordan Peele thriller.☕️🥄
4. Stranger Things (2 & 3): Season 1, I dump your ass! To be inspired by determined female characters, travel to the upside down in seasons 2 & 3!🍦
5. Kiki’s Delivery Service: Studio Ghibli is known for producing movies with strong female leads. Kiki’s Delivery Service is no exception.🐱🥖
6. Halloweentown: Because Halloween is cool and being normal is vastly overrated.
7. Practical Magic: It’s hard to not love witchy sisters that always have each others’ backs. And midnight margaritas.🍹
8. American Horror Story: While Ryan Murphy has given us numerous intriguing female characters, I’m especially bewitched by the witches in Coven & Apocalypse.🔮
9. Hocus Pocus: This classic Disney Halloween movie puts a spell on everyone.👁🕯
10. Addams Family: Because Christina Ricci as Wednesday is just to die for. *duh duh dun dun, 👌🏼👌🏼*
11. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: I admit, I didn’t watch the series until this year. But it’s so wickedly addicting.😈🐗
12. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: This is one of the only HP movies that passes the Bechdel Test. And it only passes by a werewolf’s hair! But the shift to a darker mood in the series is…well, A MOOD.🐺
13. Ghostbusters (2016): The power of Patty compels you!…To love this witty re-make with smart female leads!👻
And that’s 13!🙌🏼 How many of these shows and movies have you seen?! To help you keep track, use the template list below to check off what you’ve binged so far this season and then share it in your stories on instagram so I can see it too!👀 If you have other movies and/or shows that you love to watch for Halloween and pass the Bechdel Test, let me know and I’ll add them to the Honorable Mention list below!🏅
Freaky Friday (2003): I actually really love the songs from this movie!🤘🏼
The Labyrinth: This also barely passes the Bechdel Test, but who can deny the babe with the power?💁🏻♀️🔮
Twitches: Another Halloween DCOM, but vastly underrated. This made for tv movie also deserves bonus points since it’s lead characters are WOC!✊🏾 The only reason this isn’t on the official list is because I haven’t seen it in ages.😅
The Craft: Because we’re all weirdos.😎